You were able to find a house and successfully close on it, so congratulations on becoming a homeowner! Then, you pause for a second and think: does your lender own your house? Some people believe that if they only put 20 percent down on a house, the lender actually owns the other 80 percent. Does this mean that your lender still owns a large portion of your house? This is not the case, but there are some caveats that you need to keep in mind.